Ambassador Mohammed Al-Rabe’a, Secretary General of the Council of Arab Economic Unity delivering the conclusions and recommendations of Seamless Middle East 2019
The Council of Arab Economic Unity at the League of Arab States extend their sincere gratitude and appreciation to the leadership of the United Arab Emirates and to HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces for their support in realizing the Joint Arab Strategic Vision for Digital Economy.
We also extend our gratitude to His Highness Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior for his support to all details of the strategic vision. We appreciate his continued leadership of the team to develop the strategic vision and his confident outlook on its positive impact on Arab societies.
Key recommendations and insights from the Seamless Middle East 2019:
- During this conference, we have launched 50 programs and projects to support the digital transformation in the Arab countries. These programs and projects are the outputs of the first draft of the Joint Arab Strategic Vision for Digital Economy. We call on all sectors, particularly the private sector, to take note of these programs and start coordinating efforts for execution and compete due to their great financial returns, as well as positive social impact on Arab communities.
- Efforts should be directed to support the framework and institutionalization of a joint Arab action in the areas of electronic security, Artificial Intelligence, robotics, Blockchain and digital currencies.
- Focus efforts on the outcomes of the first draft of the Joint Arab Strategic Vision for Digital Economy, issued by the League of Arab States through the Council of Arab Economic Unity to framework relevant policies and create the appropriate climate to attract international investments to programs and projects for each country.
- Consolidate and unify efforts of Arab financing funds to execute the programs and projects resulting from the Joint Arab Strategic Vision for Digital Economy, realized with the support, endorsement and review of the World Bank, the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations (UNDESA), the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Harvard University and a committee of international experts working in the areas of the digital economy, instead of spending funds and investments in developing strategic visions that are not integrated and not comprehensive.
- Harness all efforts necessary to ensure a strong start to the programs and projects through the implementation of the eleven top priority programs highlighted in the first draft of the Strategic Vision.
- We call upon the establishment of special body for Digital Economy, within the League of Arab States to formulate strategies, develop new ICT programs, assess the implementation of digital transformation among all sectors in all Arab countries, increase awareness among governments and citizens; and improve the competitiveness and attractiveness of the region in the areas of digital economy.
- We call for the development of governance for each of the Strategic Vision programs, especially the programs that will be funded by international institutions and development funds to ensure compatibility and coherence between the overall strategy and achieve the results desired.
- Accelerate the coordination with all Arab countries to establish the Arab index for digital economy.
We believe that the Strategic Vision is the perfect opportunity, if not the only one currently available, to unite the efforts of all Arab governments to benefit from digital economy’s positive impact on economies and sustainable development and boost political and social stability.